why subsidy on LPG in india
Answer by Jai Parimi:
Definitely not to provide an alibi for dowry killings.
Why did GOI introduce subsidy in LPG?
- LPG subsidy was introduced in 1960's and petrol based subsidies were introduced in 1939 – 1945 not to give an alibi for mother-in-laws against dowry killings. But, to promote clean energy and reduce the carbon footprint by reducing the usage of wood and charcoal for home needs.
- Subsidy was initially introduced and eventually wooed Indian families (of all classes) who used to cook food in smoke choked rooms.
- The benefits were not limited to the environment but, caused increase in hygiene, health and comfort of each and every household in every nook and corner of India.
- In short, subsidy is justified in the past.
Why is GOI providing subsidy now?
- As others put it, One reason is vote mongering politicians wooing the middle and below middle classes. They wouldn't dare to hurt the middle class households who embraced LPG as one of the comfortable and affordable alternative. There still is a need of LPG subsidy in below middle class societies who find subsidized cost to be huge.
- Even in today's world, Subsidies are justified to an extent. But, Problem arises because of the people who sideline these subsidies and misuse them for non-domestic purposes. It is an open secret how the black market of LPG is rampant in India. Please take a look atfor more detailed discussion.
- In short, the paper recommends
- Eventual complete elimination of subsidy in steps.
- Focus on targeted subsidy to BPL coupled with direct transfer of money.
- Allowing BPL households to trade their LPG subsidy with cash to convert it into income subsidy.
- Limiting the subsidy for BPL household and eventually reducing the upper limit slowly.
After reading the paper, I guess previous UPA government did try to implement few of these suggestions. I hope NDA government being pro-development will take the steps forward. 🙂
Thanksfor the A2A.