disaster management: What-are-the-immediate-steps-to-be-taken-by-the-government-when-there-is-a-cyclone-warning?
Answer by Varsha Singh:
Safety Measures Taken by the Government
To keep people safe and secure during a cyclone, the government takes certain measures, such as:
- Constructing cyclone warning centers
- Making arrangements to relocate people during cyclones
- Providing information about a cyclone, and warning people, fishermen, ships, ports, airlines and various government agencies
- Delivering accurate and effective cyclone forecasts and warnings
Safety Measures to Follow before and during a Cyclone:
- Do not move out unless and until required.
- Keep a note of all the warnings given by the Meteorological Department.
- Keep emergency phone numbers of police, ambulance and fire brigade handy.
- Move people and valuable items to a safe place.
- Store hygienic drinking water.
- Help neighbors.
- Avoid contact with wet electric lines and switches.